If you're a forgetful traveler like I am, these tips can help you from leaving items behind in your hotel room.
- Don’t stash your belongings away. Most items left behind tend to be those that are tucked away under beds or in closets and drawers. Leave belongings in visible spaces, like on countertops, so you won’t leave the room without them.
- Cross-check your packing list. Come up with a list of the items you absolutely cannot forget, or refer to the packing list you already have. The Notes app on an iPhone can work well for this.
- Leave a shoe in your safe. If you leave a passport or other valuables in a hotel safe, pack a shoe along with it. The idea is that if you leave one shoe with your valuables, you won’t leave your room without it.
- Give the room one last quick scan. As one travel expert describes: "I find a starting place, usually the front door, and I walk through the room, checking the floor, surfaces, and any closets or drawers as I pass, making sure to look under things like beds and tables."
- If you do forget something, it’s not the end of the world. Contact the hotel and ask if they have a lost and found. Generally, they’ll try to accommodate.